01 December 2008

Ireland Part I

So, I should be writing a paper right now, but I just can't focus, so I thought I'd start my Ireland story. Enjoy!

So I left on thursday night from Lille, because I had no faith in my ability to get there in time if I left friday morning. (I found out sunday that there is a shuttle from Lille to the airport that I could've taken, but somehow I didn't find it. So I took a TGV to brussels, and a train to Charleroi, and then a bus to the airport. I got there around 9. I spent the night at the airport, which seemed like a great idea. And honestly, I was feeling very adventurous. I mean, on my own, sleeping in an airport like a backpacker. Go me. And then I tried to sleep... haha. The only place to do this, is on the wide, cement window sills. (there were probably 10 people doing this). But omg, the concrete was freeeezing cold. I slept on and off for 4 hours and gave up. By then, people were coming in for the early flights anyways.

I was quite tired, but very excited. I haven't really travelled alone, and I was quite proud of myself thus far.

When I finally got through the security and what not (they took my toothpaste :( ) I was quite early, so I got a nice nap while waiting for the plane. (those seats were quite comfy.)

The plane was not nearly as bad as I may have feared. It was plenty big enough, 3 seats on each side, and the staff were friendly enough. (I flew ryan air in order to save money, prices were quite cheap, but no seat assignments, and you have to buy drinks etc, pay to check luggage, and pay to check in at the airport.) I love airplanes! Flying is fantastic, i love to see the clouds and the land and everything. And as always, it was awesome. When we landed in Ireland it was pouring. (appropriate i think, since it is ireland.) but a quick sprint to the building and it was all good. As I have discovered seems to be the norm here, I got my passport stamped, but nothing asked about what I was bringing in blah blah blah. Going to Belgium (and amsterdam) we didn't even see a border check of any kind.

I caught a bus from Shannon Airport into Limerick City. I was still uber excited, and a bit worried about getting off at the right stop. But I did, and after a quick look around, I checked my map, and started down the road to my hotel. The map said it was about a 10-15 minute walk (google) so I didn't expect any problems, even though it was sprinkling. 20 minutes later it was raining steadily and I still had no idea where the hotel was. I kept walking. I asked every third person if they knew where it was. It started to pour. And I kept walking. And walking. And walking. An hour later I found it, well outside of town. I was soaked from my toes to the hem of my coat. I kept having to wipe the water off my face, my hair was dripping wet. Luckily, the coat was water proof. The front desk lady was astounded when I told her I walked (i thought it was apparent based on the fact that I was soaked through) and then charged me ten euro for checking in early.

I spread my wet stuff around the room, went and got a chicken ceasar salad (which, by the way, I have not seen since I came to the states, so I was quite happy to find it). I then soaked in the tub, twice. It was relaxing, and I was tired and feeling a bit defeated, and thus didn't really do anything that evening. I rather wish I had, but I still managed to see a lot over the next two days.

Coming soon: saturday, and the tour to the cliffs of moher

No comments: